JAMIE REDKNAPP SAYS ANGE POSTECOGLOU HAS ALREADY MADE A ‘BIG MISTAKE’ AT TOTTENHAM
Ange Postecoglou, the head coach of Tottenham Hotspur, has come under fire from Jamie Redknapp for his selection of James Maddison in the midweek match against Fulham.
The ex-Tottenham Hotspur midfielder claimed on Sky Sports Premier League (8:24 p.m., September 2, 2023) that Ange Postecoglou ought to have started James Maddison against Fulham in the EFL Cup Second Round South match at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night.
On penalties, Spurs lost the tie.
In the 82nd minute, Maddison entered the game as a substitute.
James Maddison of Tottenham Hotspur and Ange Postecoglou’s selection for the Fulham game
Redknapp made the remarks after Tottenham’s victory over Burnley in the Premier League on Saturday at Turf Moor.
Maddison, who started the game against Vincent Kompany’s team and scored one of the goals, moved to Tottenham from Leicester City during the summer transfer window.
Tottenham continued their outstanding start to the new Premier League campaign with victory against Burnley.
They lost to Fulham in the Cup, which is really frustrating, but today was the day to bounce back, according to Redknapp.
James Maddison missed the midweek game, which was a significant error. Additionally, Bissouma may not have started.
One of the top playmakers in England, Maddison, ought to have started the match against Fulham, in our opinion.
Tottenham must quickly claim a significant prize.
For Spurs, the Cup competitions are crucial.
Maddison didn’t need to take a “rest” thus early in the season.
He is only 26 years old, after all, and Tottenham will not be playing in Europe this season.
Maddison has played in four Premier League games so far this year.
In those games, the 26-year-old had two goals and two assists.
In a related development
Hugo Lloris explains why he did not leave Tottenham for Nice on deadline day
Hugo Lloris, the experienced goalie for Tottenham who recently turned down a last-minute move to his old team Nice, has given his reasoning for doing so. Lloris is currently uncertain of his future.
The 36-year-old has been free to leave Spurs for the whole summer, and he was given permission to skip the team’s preseason tour of Australia in order to “explore potential transfer opportunities.”
He has been connected to numerous teams, including Saudi Pro League teams, and Lazio and Newcastle United both made late-season approaches.
Lloris, who won the World Cup, still feels he is talented enough to be the first choice, thus he rejected the deals because those teams simply wanted him as a backup option.
Kasper Schmeichel’s contract with the Ligue 1 team was terminated late on Friday night, making a return to Nice, the team where he began his career, a possibility.
Lloris, however, claims that the potential transfer came to light too late in the day for him to give it considerable thought. He also believed Marcin Bulka, who has already replaced Schmeichel, would be awarded the starting job.
The Frenchman said, “I want to clear up the ambiguity surrounding the events of the past hours,” in a statement to the neighborhood newspaper Nice-Matin.
An representative called me yesterday [Friday], an hour before the window closed, and mentioned the idea of joining OGC Nice.